Friday 14 March 2014

Trialing Products

In the last few months I have been sent numerous products to trial in the hopes of helping my skin get better. I found that full moisturiser withdrawal doesn't work for me, but similarly too much moisturiser doesn't work either and so I've had to develop a happy medium. This however is no easy feat as my skin is perpetually changing. Some days it is much drier than others, other days it is red, blotchy and flaking. There's just no winning. I want to get away from paraben and synthetic products if possible to further aid my body's recovery and so have been open to receiving and trying out natural products.

With this in mind, I thought it would be good to share with you some of my own experiences with the products that have been sent to me. Remember what works for one does not always work for another, we are individual after all. I am in no way trying to sell any of these products, opinions are my own and I was sent these samples for free.

I'm an idiot for not keeping a daily log as I find some of these products hard to recall but I will endeavour to write honest reviews.


Purepotions

I was sent this product pretty much as soon as I had started withdrawal from topical steroids and was very excited to try it as I had seen the duo behind the company on BBC's program, Dragon's Den, and found their company intriguing. I was sent a full sized sample of their Skin Salvation Moisturising Ointment. However it took me months to actually get round to using it as I was worried about it making me worse if I was found to be allergic to any of the ingredients.

I tried out the ointment which comes as a salve. The smell is a bit overpowering but that's to be expected of a natural based product. I wasn't overly keen on the application as it is a lot less moiturising in comparison to the white soft paraffin I had been using beforehand, but I was using it on a daily basis. Looking back it's difficult to say if this product was working or not as for whatever reason I ceased using it... perhaps this is when I entered my moisturiser withdrawal? I forget now annoyingly but there are other eczema sufferers who swear by it. Perhaps after my current trial I will go back to using it...

Haughton Greene

Company, Haughton Greene sent me a 15ml tin of 'Lavender and Mandarin Sensitive Skin Balm' containing ingredients;  Triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, Cera alba, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) fruit, Helianthus annus (sunflower) seed oil, Calendula officinalis flower extract, Lavandula angustifolia, Citrus nobilis peel oil. Due to the small amount of product I only applied it to a few areas. It was a joy to apply but I was unable to distinguish any difference in my skin.

I dare say this would work for others, but you'd need an awful lot of the stuff if you suffer with problematic skin all over.

Beeutiful Skincare


I was issused with a 15ml tin of 'Healing Balm' product from Beeutiful Skincare. It contained the ingredients; Organic Olive oil, Honey, Cocoa butter, Beeswax, St.John’s Wort in Sweet Almond Oil, Calendula, Vitamin E, Lavender, Tea Tree & consequently Geraniol, Linalool, Limonene. I applied this to my legs as it was only a small amount of product. If I were to use it on all of my problem areas I doubt I would have any left over from one day's use. I can report that it applied nicely and didn't cause any further irritation, however after a week's use I couldn't see any difference in my condition.


As above, it would probably work for others but not if you have as much bad skin as me.

Barefoot SOS

I was recently sent a product to try from Barefoot SOS from their Dry & Sensitive range named 'Daily Rich Body Lotion' which actually contains a much more complex range of ingredients than I was led to believe.

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, Pentaerythrityl Distearate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Squalane, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Cetearyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Lactobacillus/Portulaca Oleracea Ferment Extract, Limonene*, Alcohol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Allantoin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Panthenol, Canola Oil, Stellaria Media Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Oil, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Linalool*, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil, Geraniol*, Daucus Carota Sativa Root Extract, Citral*, Citronellol*, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxycitronellal, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Beta-Carotene, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Citric Acid. *Naturally occurring within essential oils.

Perhaps this is why unsurprisingly this caused me further irritation and stung a lot when put on some of my more sensitive open areas.

They did however send me another product from the same range called 'Face and Body Rescue Cream', however this seems to contain similar ingredients. I am hesitant to use it, given the stinging that the other cream caused me but I will think on it.



Right now I am trialing Shaloah Skincare so I shall let you know how I get on with that.

No comments :

Post a Comment